Monday 11 July 2016

Party in the U.S.A.

To add some extra drama to our medical issues here in Nicaragua, I was scheduled to leave for a week in the states 3 days after Kyle was admitted to the hospital. This delayed my departure by a few days, but I was still able to get home to celebrate my sisters graduation and spend some time with family while Kyle’s mom came to the hospital in Nicaragua to stay with him.

When I was home I got to visit lots of friends and family. And one new friend—Baby Elodie! I was able to celebrate my sisters graduation from Bethany Christian High School—she will be attending Eastern Mennnonite University next year. And I was able to eat lots of good food and enjoy some other stateside treats :)

It wasn’t as hard as I thought to return to my cultural home and then to have to turn around and come back to my current home. I think I left Nicaragua in a really good place (excited about work, feeling comfortable, and getting better at Spanish). The only thing that really shocked me when I was in the states was prices and availability of things! And also the ease of life when you can speak in your native tongue. My brain felt like it was on TOTAL vacation! When you don’t have to think about every sound that leaves your mouth, you realize how HARD your brain has been working for the last several months. Whew! I think my brain needed that breather, but it also made me realize how quickly you can really lose that second language if you don’t practice it. I felt like I had to get back up to Spanish speed when I returned to Nicaragua.

Overall, it was a great trip. But I was also eager to return to Nicaragua, to what has become our home, and to my husband who was still on the mend. Here are a few pictures from my visit to the states:
IMG-20160601-WA0006
The Hawkins missed Kyle. But we were able to have a night out to celebrate, graduation, mother’s day, upcoming projects and studies, missed birthdays and Alli being home :) It was fun getting dressed up and catching up on life with my beautiful family.

20160604_190255
We worked on decorations for Abbi’s graduation open house. One of which, was this fun T-shirt quilt! It was great to celebrate the accomplishments of my sister and I am so excited for her and her future at EMU!

2016-06-07 22.01.44
Shhh…Don’t tell Abbi. But her open house was a great way for me to see so many family and friends in one spot! Thanks for the party, Abbi ;)  My cousin, Sam, and I at the open house.

2016-06-07 22.01.06
While the hospital stay delay had me missing out on some time with good friends over Memorial Day Weekend. I was able to see some of them throughout the week! Thanks for hanging out with me, Liz!
 
received_634696911128
I loved meeting Miss Elodie for the first time and seeing her momma again! (Photo cred: Ashley Dru Photography)

IMG_20160603_210508
No visit is complete without a beautiful and peaceful sunset on Amish Highway 35

FB_IMG_1464528195251
And the whole reason for the trip. The beautiful lady, who is off to college next year! I loved spending time with her and hearing of her excitement for the next steps. Volleyball, studies, new experiences! I am super excited for her! And we also had a super secret sister outing, which we had been planning for a while. Success! :D  I am so proud of you, Abbi! And I can’t wait to see where these next few years takes you. Keep flying ;)

Much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment