Sunday 2 July 2017

The Final Countdown

We are doing so many “lasts” these days it sometimes feels overwhelming to keep track of and document it all, but we are trying. As we head into our final week here, we have already had a few despedidas and many “lasts”. But this week we will say good-bye to our high school students (Last day of school for semester 1 is on Monday) and we will have a special lunch in La Garnacha and then our personal despedida in town will be on Sunday. We will pack up and clean house the following Monday and Tuesday and we will be moved out by Tuesday afternoon, July 11. Hard to believe how fast time is going. We are writing good-bye notes, and trying to put into words what these people have meant to us over the past 2 years. Good-byes are hard!

DSC04485

I spent a morning making rosquillas (corn based cookies) with my good friend, Albertina. These are always the best fresh out of the oven. Yum! I also taught her how to make baked oatmeal and we baked in their outdoor, barrel oven. Delicious.

DSC04486

DSC04494

DSC04482

IMG_3584

Last week the school in Quebrada de Agua did a special event for us. They danced and read poems and there were lots of hugs to go around. I hope to see these students 1 more time this week.

IMG_3596

“Desde Indiana hasta San Nicolas. Una pareja vimos llegar, un alto y una baja que nos venimos a ensenar. Ya se ingles, no se si me puedan entender ahora digo ‘oh yes!’. Gracis doy a dios mio de conocer a esta pareja que es una bendicion and hoy se quedan en nuestro corazon.”

From  Indiana to San Nicolas. We saw a couple arrive, one tall and one short who came to teach us. Now I know English, I don’t know if you can understand me. Now I say “Oh yes!”. I give thanks to my God that I met this couple, who is a blessing. And today they stay in our hearts.

IMG_3607

DSC04543

With profe maria. Love her!

So last week felt like week 1 of good-byes and now this week will bring more good-byes, and probably more tears. But as we keep saying. This isn’t good-bye it’s just see you later! No es adios, es hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment